Archive for Uncategorized
Here is my “Top 10″ list for 2011:
- jumpscan – qrcode generator creates a smartphone scan-able code to quickly and easily share contact info., social media, website, and email address.
- quora – Social Q&A. you can follow not only people, but topics and questions.
- ipad – The iPad is the first tablet computer developed by Apple Inc. Announced on January 27, 2010, it is part of a device category between a smartphone and a laptop computer.
- amplify – Amplify gives an easy way to clip, share and spark conversation around articles, blog posts or anything else you read on the web.
- audioboo – a mobile & web platform that allows you to record and upload audio.
- voki – create personalized speaking avatars and use them on your blog, profile, and in email messages.
- diigo – social bookmarking tool.
- ning – a social network platform that i used to create : http://slnfacultyonline.ning.com/ – JOIN!
- youtube – watch and share originally-created videos & .vyou – broadcast video structured as conversations.
- glogster – multimedia online posters.
did not quite make the list, but still very cool:
Click the triangle above to activate the avatar and get my message : )
After you play the message return to our moodle course and let’s begin our online conversation!
At every moment in the design and management of this course i ask myself to think about whether the choice i am about to make is me doing the work, or if there is a way for me to get students to do the work so that they can do the learning : ) this is a constant struggle for me as i LOVE to talk and LOVE to talk about what i am passionate about, namely effective online instruction.
So i say … teach them to fish instead of giving them the fish…make them do the work… don’t do it for them, take every opportunity to challenge your students to do most of the work in your course… because if they are doing the work, they are doing the learning, figure out ways to make them teach each other, that is how people learn… if you view everything and every interaction in the course as an opportunity to express that concept and if you are able to scrutinize yourself, your design, your actions and interactions, etc., you will be a better educator.
It is harder because you want to help them, make sure they get it, make sure they know what you know…. but!!!! that is a trap… remember if you do the work, who does the learning?!!! It is harder also because they can’t all fish right away… But you have to resist the temptation…just remember that if you give them the answers/information, they are not learning anything really . . . learning takes time, it is a process, that like fishing requires patience and practice, and it is not something you cause to happen… it is something the student chooses to do…
It is also something that you, as the course designer/instructor can facilitate.
How?? Have them reflect, apply, report, explain, defend, refute, question, self-assess, summarize, synthesize, and analyze their engagement with course content and as a member of the class community.
Design learning activities that make students make their thinking visible to you.